Thursday 22 November 2007

Thanksgiving update

Gonna do a little update while we're waiting for the bird to cook. I haven't gotten to write much about Bristol in between trips. Everything here's been great. I'm just going to start writing in no particular order.


Dali's Birthday:



We went to a Japanese restaurant for sushi and karaoke. What a great time! The whole gang was there, and what's better then eating sushi, drinking sake and singing spice girls songs with friends? The sushi was delicious, me and Nick split some kind of sampler thing so we got to try all kinds of raw fish. It wasn't in rolls like a lot of sushi, so that was a little disappointing. But still great.

The bartender was on his computer checking his Facebook, so I made him add me to his facebook friends. He was also watching heroes, and I told him what a great show it is. So now me and Chris Wong are good friends on Facebook.

Big American Party:

Mom did me the kindness of bringing ping pong balls, so we were able to host beer pong! No one had ever played it before; so us American's had to teach. If any of my Brick friends are reading this, just know that we ran house. Some of the British guys played it for 3 days straight after that. I think it's really catching on.

John's Mom:



I didn't get to see John's mom for very long, because she came just a couple days before I left for Barcelona. She brought Pork roll!! We still have a little left. I had no idea how much I missed it until I had some again. She also brought double stuff oreos - always a treat.

John's mom (or as Mai-lys would say, John mum's) took us out to a local pub for a pint, which was very nice. I found out our warden works at the pub. So now we're friendly - he may be stopping by for Thanksgiving.

Guy Fawke's Day:

Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the Parliament building, but failed. "Remember, Remember, the 5th of November." The only reason I know anything about it is V for Vendetta, but don't tell anyone I said that. For Guy Fawkes night, we watched Alex spin balls of fire around in the park:



I tried it too, but they were unlit. I'm not that crazy. People were setting fireworks off all over the place - it's almost like the 4th of July of Britain, but without the barbecues and nice weather. Oh well.

Good cooking:

We've been doing a lot of cooking recently, just to spice things up. It started when I made Toad in the hole. For those that don't know, that's a Yorkshire pudding with sausages in the middle, and usually some mashed potatoes. Turned out pretty good.

Well, Mai-lys and John made eggplant parm, which turned out great. Nick made pasta with homemade sauce - delicious. Mai-lys brought her French friends, Astrid and Francois, and they all made a great rice dish, complete with fancy Tesco wine.

Probably the coolest dinner we made was homemade perogies. Marta had the recipe, and made the filling, and we all helped make the perogies ourselves:

We made 120 in all and feasted all night. We still have a few leftover if you want some.

Piia made pirakas (I hope that's spelled correctly) which is pretty similar to a perogie. It's thinly rolled rye bread with potato in the middle, shaped and then baked.

We went out for Piia's birthday to Revolution bar, which was nice. Nick's brother came, and we got the DJ to play Piia's favorite song. Nick's family went for Dublin the next day, and just got back today for Thanksgiving.

Me and Sehar went out last night to a movie called Persepolis. It's about an Iranian woman and her hardships. If any TCNJ'ers are reading it, yes it was our required reading from freshman year. I really enjoyed the movie, and afterwards we went for kebabs:

Not a whole lot else to report I don't think. Mai-lys and I made a huge apple pie for thanksgiving today, and it looks great. I'll post a picture when I can. We're having turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, veggies, cranberry sauce - the works. And we're expecting about 20 people to eat. Have a great Thanksgiving everyone! Sorry I couldn't spend it with you...

1 comment:

Roxanne said...

John- We missed you at dinner today but it was great talking to you this morning! Cool movie with the fire. Stay safe on your travels to Prague and Dublin. Love you, Mom